Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steak-tastic!

Tonight I was feeling both hungry and ambitious. It probably also didn't hurt that I was desperately avoiding work. I knew I wanted sweet potatoes in some form or another, but didn't know what else to make. Inspired by "What Would Brian Boitano Make?", I decided that steak with basalmic glaze would pair perfectly with my lovely, orange treat. Might I just say, it was a wonderful decision.


Pan Seared Steak with Basalmic Glaze and Sweet Potato Fries

For steak:

1 top sirloin steak 1 Tb. butter 1 clove garlic, smashed pinch of thyme

For glaze:

1/4 c. basalmic vinegar 2 Tb. brown sugar 1Tb. butter

For fries:

1 large sweet potato EVOO Season salt S&PNumbered List

  1. Preheat oven to 300F. Slice sweet potato into fry-sized sticks. Toss with EVOO, season salt, and salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been greased with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing about halfway through.
  2. Preheat a cast iron skillet with a thin layer of canola oil. Thoroughly salt and pepper the steak and sear in skillet for about 2 minutes, each side. Meanwhile, add butter and garlic, basting the steak as it sears. Transfer the steak to the oven and cook for 5-7 minutes for a medium rare-medium steak. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before adding glaze.
  3. While steak is cooking, heat basalmic vinegar, brown sugar, and butter in a small saucepan on med-high. Whisk ingredients together and stir on occasion until it thickens. Drizzle on top of steak. Extra glaze can be used with olive oil as a dipping sauce for crusty bread.

I was honestly impressed with my own abilities tonight. The meal turned out more delicious than I expected. I actually ended up dipping the fires in some of the glaze, and the flavor combination was surprisingly good - sweet, salty, and savory all at the same time. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment