Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Catching Up

In the past few months I've been living on fast food and Clif Bars. The good side: I now know which places have the best iced tea. The down side: I've been feeling like a bear shot with a tranquilizer dart. I got the chance to cook a few times, and I will dispense my culinary treasures in just a few moments, though first I would like to personally apologize to my sister for taking so long to update. She apparently enjoys my blathering on about food. :)


Tortellini with Keilbasa

Pretty straightforward meal - cook tortellini, slice up keilbasa and cook in a large pan, jarred sauce, and "poor man's garlic bread" (sandwich bread with butter and garlic powder thrown under the broiler). Delicious and super easy to throw together in a short amount of time.









First ever burger attempt!

I mixed the ground beef with minced garlic and onion and created a mustard/horseradish/malt vinegar spread for this burger. My failure: I made the patty wayyyy too small so there was a bad meat to bun ratio. My success: the spread was pretty amazing paired with the garlic and onion in the meat.






Cheesy Goodness

I felt like alfredo pasta one night, but didn't have any on hand. This was my off-the-cuff replacement. However, I didn't measure anything, so the amounts are approximate.

I started off by mixing a couple Tb. butter, 1/4 c. heavy cream, and an egg in a small saucepan on low heat. I raided my fridge for cheese choices, and threw in a couple torn up slices of deli swiss and provolone. I added a bit of grated parmesan and had a teensy bit of goat cheese left that I threw that in as well. I added black pepper and a bit of dried parsley at the very end. Quite delicious!


Breakfast Sandwiches

This is my sister's favorite thing I cook, or at least her most requested. The finished product varies depending on what ingredients I have on hand, but this is the ultimate recipe:

1-2 slices bacon (or pancetta)
1 egg
1 Tb. spicy brown mustard (or pub mustard)
2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tb. butter
goat cheese, crumbled
English muffin

1. Begin frying the bacon in a shallow pan and turn on the broiler. When the bacon is cooked to your liking (I like mine crispier), allow to drain on paper towels, but retain the rendered fat.
2. As the bacon cooks, mix together the mustard and butter. For more kick, swap the measurements for the two mustards. Spread this mixture on a split english muffin and top with crumbled goat cheese. Place under broiler to toast until cheese begins to brown.
3. Use the bacon grease to fry the egg to your liking (I like a pretty firm yolk). Assemble the sandwich and devour!

I will add the rest of the updates soon. And hopefully I will get back to cooking more often. Oh, and I'll present my first ever Thanksgiving meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment